Out There on the Edge

Give people what they need, not what they say they need -- interviews are tricky. People will swear up and down that they would buy a product you describe if only it were available, and then fail to do so as soon as it is. Likewise, in conversation an idea can sound terrible, but in actualization the idea can become a compelling product. You have to sherlock out the truth of the interest people express, and "yes/no" questions are usually less useful than "how much" or "how bad" questions.

Really, you should read the entire article, but that was the phrase that resonates most with me. It reminds me of an old phrase (which curiously I couldn't find attributions for on ye ole' Internet):

The problem the patient brings you is never the real problem. If they were strong enough to face the real problem, they wouldn't need you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

The gun in my basement.

Sh*t Diabetics Say