2012, and Go!

Hard to believe it's been a month since my last post, but as usual, that's generally a good sign. When things are going good, that's usually when the blogging takes a back seat.

Diabetes-wise, all is status quo. In fact, I just got back an A1c of 5.9, which I'm pretty sure is my lowest ever, if not, certainly in years. Ironically, though my CGM is certainly partly responsible for that great number, I've been sensor-less for about 3 weeks now as I miscalculated my reorder and then had to wait for new insurance info. to get sorted out. But even so, things have been excellent blood-sugar wise and the good news is that a big shipment of supplies is on its way to me, so very soon I'll be CGMing again.

Running-wise, things are also going well. After an injured November leading to a lackluster December marathon, December ending up being nearly a 200 mile month, injury-free. In addition, I started adding in tempo work and this past week awesome coach Missy had me add in hill work, which serves as the precursor to speed work. All of this is important because in 2011 I taught myself to run much higher miles than ever before, mostly injury-free; 2012 is the year I try to add in regular speed and tempo work without getting hurt. And after a month of tempos, things are going well.

The purpose for all of this is to be ready for the Boston Marathon in April. That said, running Boston is a dream come true, and I'd like to PR there, but the course and weather usually conspire to make that tough, so I'm really only concerned with being as fit as I can be there. If that means a PR, fine - if it doesn't, fine.

Coming off of Boston, there's a better than average chance I'll go for a PR at the Cleveland Marathon a month later with better weather and a friendlier course. But of course, that depends on the next 3 months and how Boston goes.

If you're a diabetic running nerd, you should know that this weekend's Olympic Trials are important, as they include only the second diabetic (and first diabetic man), ever, to run in the Olympic Marathon Trials in the US. Tommy Neal's challenge is somewhat unique, however, as he qualified for the Trials early last year, and only was diagnosed with diabetes last summer, so this will also be his first marathon as a diabetic. There's a great story about Tommy here. Here's hoping he knocks it out of the park!

And finally, Team Type 1 is going through tons of planning for a great year. The pro cyclists are gearing up in Europe while us domestic amateurs are preparing to help SANOFI here in the US. All in all, it's shaping up to be a great year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

Sh*t Diabetics Say

The gun in my basement.