First A1C on the Dexcom...

After 62 days of wearing the Dexcom, my A1C is either 6.2 or 5.8, depending on which chart you believe.

According to both the Dex and my labs, my average blood sugar for the period was 131. (More on this in a minute.)

According to this chart, that converts to a 5.8. According to my lab paperwork, however, that's a 6.2.

I don't know why that is, and I also know that 6.2 is good - in fact probably the best A1C I've had in 25 years with diabetes. But dammit, I expected a 5.8, so something that starts with a 6 kind of bugs me.

That being said, my Doc seemed a little worried that my actual blood tests per day had dropped from 4-5 to 2-3 and that I was trusting the Dex so much. But I'd say if the Dex says my average blood sugar is 131 and so did the labs, I think it's reliable enough.

I also talked to the doc a little bit about trying Apidra. When I look at my Dex wave, my meals have a habit of taking me quite high (220-250) and then it's a good 2.5 hours 'til I'm normal again. Some people say Apidra works faster. Less time over 200 means a lower A1C, I'm thinking.

All of that being said, it was a good appointment, and all my other labs were pretty good. That's something I think about a lot during these 50 mile weeks - making sure other pieces of me aren't falling apart.

If you've moved from Humalog to either Novolog or Apidra, though, would love to hear your thoughts...

Best day, today. Six tomorrow, 12 Sunday, and then 1 more hell week until the taper begins...

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

The gun in my basement.

Sh*t Diabetics Say