30 Things About My Invisible Illness

Apparently, Invisible Illness Week was this week? I didn't even know it until now. At any rate, there's a meme going around about it, and though I don't usually play, I did. Enjoy...

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know

1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:1984

3. But I had symptoms since: A few months before.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Wow. I must be well-adjusted because nothing comes to mind.

5. Most people assume: I don't have diabetes.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: usually before I've had coffee.

7. My favorite medical TV show is: none of them unless by medical you mean the part in Road House where Swayze got stitches without a local.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my insulin pump, blood sugar meter and my CGM. I'm a diagadgaholic.

9. The hardest part about nights are: when I've had a very fatty meal (like a big steak) and can't tell what it will do to my blood sugar.

10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. 1 pill for my thyroid, vitamins if I'm in training, and a Vitamin C.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have used them to supplement the mainstream stuff.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: a diabetic on a pump is a lot more visible, if you know what to look for.

13. Regarding working and career: I would've joined the military or FBI had I not been diabetic. In hindsight, that wouldn't have worked out so well.

14. People would be surprised to know: I don't mind being diabetic. A genie would have to give me a lot of wishes before I wished to be cured.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: it's not new anymore.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: I've never thought that I couldn't do something because of diabetes, but I am proud to have accomplished 3 marathons with it.

17. The commercials about my illness: are always about the other Diabetes - not mine.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: eating without math.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: mindless eating.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: all of them have come since my diagnosis. When I was 13, my only hobby involved baseball cards.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: eat a lot of chocolate and steak.

22. My illness has taught me: that anything can be managed.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: My grandmother died from diabetes.

24. But I love it when people: ask about my insulin pump.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: Success is never final and failure is never fatal.

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: in time, it will become second nature.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: a lot of people are consumed with it. I just couldn't be like that, myself.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: brought me Fig Newtons without asking why.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I think many of these memes will be rather depressing and if I had just gotten sick, they might scare me. I don't want people to think there's no way to live a normal life.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: like I did before you read it. Diabetes doesn't define me, and neither do you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

Sh*t Diabetics Say

The gun in my basement.