I forgot my anniversary....

No, not that one. That 16th anniversary is coming up and we're celebrating it by spending our first night without the kids. Yes, you heard that right: first night without the kids, ever. That's worthy of a blog post in and of, itself, but nevermind...

Sometime last month (I truly don't know the date), I passed my 25th anniversary w/ diabetes. Twenty five years. The "silver" anniversary, if you will. Random thoughts:

* 25 years without a complication, which is really all that matters. One spot on one eye, that went away by itself. That's it.

* Five kinds of insulin, along the way: Pork Regular, NPH (was it beef?), Synthetic R, Synthetic N (after the others were discontinued --- I was on the piggie stuff 'til the end) and Humalog

* I originally had one of the first Accu-Chek monitors (which I believe cost around $400 and took about three minutes to do a test), moved to a Diascan (sp?), which took 70 seconds. Then I think I went to my first OneTouch, which I think took 20 seconds, before moving on to the Ultra's, UltraSmarts and Mini's about eight years ago. Plus, I've got some European one I had to buy when I left my UltraSmart on a plane to England a few years ago.

* Back then, we used a lot of urine strips, too, but I couldn't tell you the last time I used one.

* I'm on my second insulin pump.

* I've had two ambulance rides, and a third ambulance to my house, but the last was over 17 years ago.

* I rarely wear a medical ID and somewhat consider it redundant, given the insulin pump. But still, I should.

* I think I've only had a few A1C's over 10, and most of them were in college.

* Most of my A1C's were in the 7's until I went on my pump. Now, nearly all are in the 6's.

* Diet Coke only became widely available in the months right before I was diagnosed and it was a godsend. I became hooked immediately and though I prefer Diet Pepsi today, I'll always be grateful to Coke for that.

* Truth is, it's been easier more times than not. I've had a harder time being a good parent, finding (and keeping) good jobs, and trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon than I have had trying to keep my blood sugar under control. Of the struggles in my life, diabetes is there, but it's low on my list, and for that, I'm grateful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

The gun in my basement.

Sh*t Diabetics Say