Another Six-Word Memoir Post...

I've been watching the "six word memoir" game for a while, ever since Smith Magazine came out w/ their anthology, which includes submissions from my friends Ellen, Myfanwy and probably some others from my old writerly days.

Because it's a fun (and challenging) exercise, it's currently making its way around the blog scene, and in the same day, I've been tagged by Jamie and Kelly. Coming at me from me from both ends, who am I to refuse? For those out of the loop, these are the rules:

1) Write your own six word memoir
2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want
3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4) Tag at least five more blogs with links; and
5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!

I had a half dozen that I was tempted to include, but decided the exercise was most potent if I only listed my number one choice... So what do you say when you've had 11 jobs since graduating from college 15 years ago? Or when you've had hobbies that have ranged from cooking classes to novel writing and marathon training? Or.... when you have a nasty habit of replacing running shoes every 200 miles? In that light, the choice became obvious:

Many shoes owned. Several lightly worn.

Without a doubt, I can be accused of slight plagarism. After all, the entire "six word phenomenon" can be traced to Hemingway, who wrote, "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Despite the fact that Ernie and I used 1/3 of the same words, I hope we'll agree that the spirit of what I wrote was entirely different. Ernie's was obviously a tale of crippling sadness. Mine, on the other hand, is just a story about a Generation X guy with a nasty case of overpronation.

Rules are rules: I'm tagging Nathan, Eric, John, Marcy , KCH, Ann & Megan.

Comments

  1. LMAO, I like yours!

    Man o man this will be hard for me. But I'll give er a go ;D I'll have to think about it for a bit . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNAP. Okay, I'll take a shot! (not sure I know 5 other bloggers, though...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

The gun in my basement.

Sh*t Diabetics Say