Killing Time

So yesterday I knocked out a 20 mile run at 8:19 pace, the first I've gone that fast on a long run in more than a year and a half. It would be impressive, I suppose, if I were actually training for something.

This was my 4th (or 5th? 3rd?) 20 miler in this build, mostly through 50 mile weeks, though the word "build" assumes one is building toward something and I've been as flip-floppy as a politician for quite some time now. A month ago I talked about throwing some 5 hour runs together for the NJ Ultra Fest, but a lack of ultra motivation and an over-abundance of snow have prevented that. Right now, I'm kind of thinking about peaking for the Bob Potts Marathon, but again, that means I probably should actually put a plan together, as I'm not fast enough to get fast without planning my plan and working the plan.

Why I feel this way... I have no idea, and I don't like being so... aimless. But work's been crazy, the house remodeling (thankfully 99.99% done) has been crazy and life has just been well... crazy. It hasn't kept me from running, but it's kept me from caring enough to be intentional about my running. So I bang out the miles, keep the beer belly to a manageable level and hope a goal makes itself known.

And on the long miles, I think of songs that mention killing time. From Clint Black crooning that this "killin' time is killin' me," to Meat Loaf's, "You were only killing time and it'll kill you right back," I'm aware that the mileage is probably a bit too much to just be goofy about it.

But I think I kind of know what I want: at least today.

After this weekend's long run, I'll likely miss two weekends in a row - one for pleasure travel, one for work. That will force be to do a cut-back period, which will set me up at the end of the month for a more solid build heading into April and May, and hopefully a race or two I'm determined to excel at.

Diabetes-wise, well it just rolls on. Yesterday's run was as steady BG-wise as it was pace-wise... with levels between 155-168 the whole way. I've been wearing the Dexcom, rocking the temporary basals, etc... nothing special, which is what diabetes tends to like best.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    I've been rocking the indoor track with some fast runners. I like the change and feel like a bird flying when coming around the corners of a 200m track. Then when spring hits and the snow is gone I amfaster, more efficient and it will be fresher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

Sh*t Diabetics Say

The gun in my basement.