5k PR, et. al.

I realized I should probably say Merry Christmas in this post because my blog is definitely at the bottom of the priority list. Chances are, this will be the last I post for a few weeks. But even so, no blogging doesn't mean things aren't going well...

For the past six weeks or so, I've been running under the guidance of Missy Foy, the first "coach" I've had in more than fifteen years. The goal? Get me over the Boston hump.

Because the marathon isn't until May, we're in a looong slow build-up. Even so, she has me doing a lot of new stuff, including:

* drills
* core work
* odd hill workouts
* tempos on long runs

In short, a lot of different stuff and I'm a big believer in different.

Yesterday, I did the local Jingle Bell 5k - my last race of the year. Despite the 35 degree weather and freezing rain, I knocked off a 19:38 PR, along the way beating a handful of guys that - quite frankly - I never beat. Considering we're just beginning training, I was pretty pleased.

Curiously, since my lackluster marathon in September, I've rolled off four age group placings in a row, my longest string to date. So really, there's nothing to complain about.

In addition, the diabetes control has been, in a word: typical. I've had high days and low days, but mostly, just days. I'm used to the Apidra (though I only fill my pump to 3/4 because it craps out on me after 3 days) and the Dex (currently getting better than 10 days on most of my sensors) and I've got no complaints at all.

If I wanted to complain, which I generally do, I'd mention my shin is acting up again, but I'm hoping to stretch it and compress it into submission. Also, it's early in the season, so there's really no reason to panic at all.

Looking forward to 2010. Looks like I've got a trip to Europe for work in late Feb. and a Florida vacation in early May followed by a marathon in mid-May. What can I say? I'm a lucky guy.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy D-Blog Day, Uh, I Guess...

The gun in my basement.

Sh*t Diabetics Say